Boston Fern with Hanging Basket
Fern, Plant Classification: Tracheophytes any of several nonflowering vascular plants that possess true roots, stems, and complex leaves and that reproduce by spores. They belong to the lower vascular plant division Pteridophyta, having leaves usually with branching vein systems; the young leaves usually unroll from a tight fiddlehead, or crozier. The number of fern species is about 9,000, but estimates have ranged to as high as 15,000, the number varying because certain groups are as yet poorly studied and because new species are still being found in unexplored tropical areas. The ferns constitute an ancient division of vascular plants, some of them as old as the Carboniferous Period (beginning about 359 million years ago) and perhaps older. Their type of life cycle, dependent upon spores for dispersal, long preceded the seed-plant life cycle.
Where do they grow?
Ferns are typically found in moist, forested areas because they require lots of water. Ferns are abundant in all damp situations in New Zealand forests, forming the undergrowth beneath a dense canopy of evergreen trees. They are also found growing on tree trunks and branches and along stream banks. Some hardy species have adapted to other drier habitats such as coastal, alpine, urban and even desert locations.
Tree ferns are some of the most distinctive features of our forests. They occur in all forest types and are most plentiful in cut-over and degraded forests, where light levels are relatively high. They also appear in older plantations of exotic trees that are relatively open.
The leaves of ferns are called fronds and when they are young they are tightly coiled into a tight spiral. This shape, called a ‘koru’ in Māori, is a popular motif in many New Zealand designs.
Ferns can be categorised based on their growth form such as tufted, creeping, climbing, perching and tree ferns.
- One notable New Zealand fern is bracken (rārahu), which grows in open, disturbed areas and was a staple of the early Māori diet in places too cold for the kümara to grow. The roots were gathered in spring or early summer and left to dry before they were cooked and eaten.
- The silver fern or ponga is a national symbol and is named for the silver underside of its fronds.
- The mamaku is New Zealand’s tallest tree fern, growing up to 20 meters high.
- Wheki is another type of tree fern that can be distinguished by its hairy koru and ‘skirt’ of dead, brown fronds hanging from under the crown. It often forms groves by means of spreading underground rhizomes, which give rise to several stems.
- Most ferns reproduce sexually (see below), but some ferns also have efficient means of vegetative reproduction, such as the underground stems of bracken and the tiny bulblets that grow on the surface of fronds of the hen-and-chicken fern.
DETAILS CHECK :
|PLANT SIZE (excluding pot size)||1.5 to 2.5 feet (please accept a deviation of +/- 5%)|
|POT SIZE||5.5 inches in dia|
|POT COLOUR AND MATERIAL||White/ Plastic pot Ceramic finishing (can be customized as per requirement)|
Q. WHAT IS CLICKNURSERY WARRANTY?
- Click nursery Warranty assures you that we are committed to giving you the best plants and service to you with utmost satisfaction along with lifetime assistance for healthy nurturing of plants.
Q. DO I GET A LIFETIME ASSISTANCE?
- Yes, we will provide you lifetime assistance for all your plant nurturing needs
Q. WHAT IF I RECEIVE DAMAGED OR WRONG PLANT?
- Here comes Click nursery warranty ready for you. Our packaging is so robust that most of all our plants reach you in good condition but if it still reaches you either damaged or wrong product we will immediately give you a Replacement/Refund of the plant in no time.
Q. WHAT IS PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP AND SHALL I NEED TO PAY FOR MEMBERSHIP?
- Premium membership customers can avail a special discount of 10% for all their orders from click nursery. To be eligible for premium membership all it requires is to place an order and sign up with clicknursery.
Q. DO I GET PLANTS ALONG WITH THE POT?
- Yes, the plant comes with a pot included with no additional cost.
Q. WHAT IS THE SIZE OF PLANT WE GET?
- All the plants from click nursery (excluding pot height) will be of height 1.5 to 2.5 feet (please accept a deviation of +/- 5%).
Q. DO THE PLANT SIZE INCLUDE POT SIZE?
- No plant size is excluded from pot height, Pot height will be 6 inches.
Q. DOES THE PLANT I RECEIVE WILL BE EXACTLY AS SHOWN IN PICTURES?
- It's a live plant, each plant grows in its own unique branching shape and flowers according to its blooming season but plants you receive will be exactly the same plant variety with assurance
Default Size Chart
International: Insured Shipping. Delivery within 14 business days.
You'll Also Love These
₹ 349.00 ₹ 799.00
₹ 299.00 ₹ 599.00
₹ 399.00 ₹ 799.00
₹ 399.00 ₹ 999.00
₹ 799.00 ₹ 899.00
₹ 399.00 ₹ 699.00
₹ 499.00 ₹ 699.00
₹ 499.00 ₹ 700.00